In Sanskrit Leucorrhoea is called Shwetapradara which means “ excessive white discharge” and it is supposed to be due to vitiation or disturbance of estrogen. This condition is witnessed more commonly in women who are anemic, emaciated and weak. Generally the women witness the vaginal secretion in controlled quantity and this is a natural way of the body of lubricating, cleansing and protecting the vagina from various harmful bacteria and infections. Just like the anus and mouth the vaginal mucous membrane also continually keeps shedding and replacing the cells and throw them out of the body through mucous secretion. This discharge is a result of the action of endometrial and cervical glands and the activity of the harmless naturally occurring bacteria which reside in the vagina. But an abnormal discharge is different and its color varies from brown, yellowish, green to grey white. The consistency can be either thick and clumpy or liquid and thin. This is accompanied by offensive smell and reddening and irritation in the genitals. Ayurvedic treatment is very beneficial in providing relief from the Leucorrhea symptoms.
Leucorrhea Treatment in Ayurveda:-
• Consuming the fluid obtained by boiling horse-gram soaked in water. This solution is very beneficial in Leucorrhea treatment.
• Tamarind seeds that have been shelled and then boiled in milk are highly efficacious in providing relief from the condition.
• Cleaning your vagina with interior pieces of alum or Spatika along with water can give remarkable results.
• Consuming about three grams of the Pushyamuga Churna twice on a daily basis along with milk and Ashokaarishta (20ml) gives great results.
• There is also a very popular Douche therapy. In this there is douching of the female genital track regularly with the decoction prepared from fig and banyan trees and is very helpful in providing relief from Leucorrhea. For preparing this decoction one tablespoon of powder obtained from the two above mentioned barks is left to boil in about one liter water. The decoction is filtered and the remains are discarded. Getting an oil massage done before douching is recommended.
• Then the decoction is filled inside a douche bag and a clean, lubricated nozzle is attached to it. This is inserted into the vagina after bending knees and lying down on back. After inserting the nozzle in the vagina, followed by deep breathing, the douche bag is to be squeezed so that the decoction completely enters the vagina. But it needs to be kept in mind that this Ayurvedic treatment is not recommended in case of pregnancy, menstruation and after panchakarma.
• Some of the herbs are also of immense help namely, Phyllanthus emblica or Amlaki, Bombax malabarica or Mocha-rasa, Mesua ferra or Naagakesara, Saraca indica or Ashoka, Symplocos racemosa or Lodhra, Glycyrrhiza glabra or Yashtimadhu and Ficus religosa or Udumbar.
But if indications carry on for more than three or four days, get worse or are followed by abnormal bleeding, fever and severe pain in that case consulting a doctor is the best thing.